The Happy Slimer
In the same vein of "Marriage," where the premise is a serious subject combined with an inside joke, "The Happy Slimer" is a duality. "If you were looking for a sign, this ain't it" is something I used to say to myself a lot when I was in my first and second year of college. In the Wake Technical Community College parking deck, there was a car that was always parked there that had a bumper sticker that said "if you're looking for a sign to stay alive, this is it." It always pissed me off because I was an extremely bitter person during that period of my life, but also because it felt impersonal. Who are you to tell me to stay alive? You don't know me or my life. Even in the more stable state I am in now, I still find sayings like that (especially on a bumper sticker) to be extremely cheesy. I always really liked the lyrics I had wrote based on that, though, and when trying to write "The Happy Slimer" it somehow just worked. I guess it's a little conflicting, because the verses are more about an internal struggle with depression and the weight of having to save your own life, while the chorus (taken at face value) is about wanting to get fucked. I kind of prefer to think of the concept of getting slimed out just as being loved by someone, but also I see that it doesn't really sound like that.
I like the trumpets in it a lot. I love the bassline.

Comments
Post a Comment